Monday, November 19, 2007

Week 9: #22 Downloadable Media

I took advantage of the training available at my branch last year for Overdrive, so I was already somewhat familiar with the downloadable digital services we offer at HCPL. Alas, I have not used it much myself, but my husband was very impressed when I told him he could download movies at no cost from the library's website. We tested it out, and although it takes quite a while to download a movie, if you're willing to wait, you can't beat the price!

For this exercise, I searched for and found an audio book that I've already requested through our system and am patiently waiting to receive. Well, what do you know? It's available on our e-branch too! It shows that only one copy is available, and it's currently checked out, but I am first on the waiting list. I entered my email address to be notified when it's available for me. Burning this title to a CD is allowed, so hopefully I will be able to take it with me on vacation in a few weeks!

Up to this point, the only real experience I've had with the library's downloadable media is when I occasionally help customers who have asked questions about it. I usually refer them to the digital help page, which provides them with the info they need. However, I know that if I use it more myself, I'll be better equipped to answer their questions. It's a great service and one that we should make sure our customers are aware of.

No comments: