Saturday, October 27, 2007

Week 7: #17 Technology

What a perfect week to blog about techology! As of this blog posting, Horizon has been down for three days. We apologize to our customers and assist them the best we can. In spite of it all, they have been really understanding. We can't help what we can't control. I feel really bad for the circulation staff who has cartloads of books to check in when the system comes back up. Technology affects each of us daily at home, work, and school. The majority of the time, it makes our lives easier. But when it fails, we suffer greatly because we have become so dependent on it. When the library's system crashed, I was reminiscing back to the days of card catalogs. I remember when computers first entered the library scene. I was reluctant to use them because I thought they would change everything traditional I had grown to love about libraries. I can admit now that it was change in the right direction. Even with the problems we've had over the past few days, I wouldn't want to go back to card catalogs. We must trust that the system will be up and running soon. In the meantime, we'll roll with the punches, laugh about it, make adjustments, serve our customers, and move on.

No comments: